Cultivating Freedom: Choir Concert, Sat. May 20, 7pm

Cultivate the Spirit of Peace and Freedom with the Free Range Folk Choir on Saturday May 20th, 7pm at the VHS Theater.

"Freedom is not given to us by anyone; we have to cultivate it ourselves. It is a daily practice... No one can prevent you from being aware of each step you take or each breath in and breath out."
"Real strength can be found not in power, money, or weapons, but in deep, inner peace. When we have enough insight, we are not caught by many difficult situations anymore."
~Thich Nhat Hanh

On May 20th, the Free Range Folk Choir will perform "I've Got Love" and "No Matter What" by composer Raymond Wise.  Featuring the voices of the 70-member choir and jazz pianist Thomas Pruiksma, these songs remind us how to seek the inner strength needed to go on when we are facing great hardship: "I never found love 'till I found peace, I never found peace 'till I found joy, I never found joy 'till I found music way down in my soul."

Also featured will be a new choral work, arranged by Shane Jewell, based on Olatunji's Uhuru.  This piece balances the rich acappella voices of the Folk Choir with the nuanced percussion of Gordy Ryan, a long-time member of Olatunji's renowned band, Drums of Passion. The song's title, Uhuru, translates as "Freedom to the World Now", and epitomizes Olatunji's world view:
"I am that I am, I am beauty, I am peace, I am joy, I am one with Mother Earth. I am one with everyone within the reach of my voice. In this togetherness, we ask the divine intelligence to eradicate all negatives from our hearts, from our minds and from our actions. And so be it....Ashe."
~Babatunde Olatunji

Sung in three languages, the piece embodies the journey to freedom. The first cycle of the song is the realization that we are not yet free. The second cycle is the effort and struggle needed to achieve our freedom. Finally, the third cycle is the realization that once our freedom is gained we have to maintain this freedom each and every day. Learn more about Olatunji here.

Join us Saturday, May 20th, 7pm in the VHS Theater for an evening of song featuring the intricate rhythms of drummer Gordy Ryan, the gospel jazz piano of Thomas Pruiksma, and vocal harmonies of Africa, America, and Europe. This is a family-friendly show, so bring everyone for the audience sing-along. Songs of freedom from South Africa and the US civil rights movement will round out this evening.

Suggested donation $5 - $10 (No one turned away for lack of funds.)